Department Of Transportation - Warning!!
DOT warning You are accessing a U.S. Government information system. This information system, including all related equipment, networks, and network devices, is provided for U.S. Government-authorized use only. Unauthorized or improper use of this system is prohibited, and may result in civil and criminal penalties, or administrative disciplinary action.
The communications and data stored or transiting this system may be, for any lawful Government purpose, monitored, recorded, and subject to audit or investigation. By using this system, you understand and consent to such terms. View User Behavior Rules

Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
  • Disclaimer: Any opinions, findings, and recommendations expressed in the group area discussions are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the United States Government, the Department of Transportation, or the Federal Highway Administration.
Edited: 4/24/2012 8:37 AM

Nat'l Park Service and UPARR conversion: P&N statement

I need some guidance on details of a UPARR conversion from local city parks land to land that would be encumbered under UPARR. It is proposed as mitigation, and there are vegetative enhancements on the same parcel that are mitigation for other effects. I am wondering if NPS would see the vegetation enhancements as part of the UPARR action or separate. I need this info to write an accurate purpose and need statement. Is there a place on this board where I would find this type of discussion? I'll hold off on posting my question until I find the right place. Thanks.
2011-09-16 16:29:04
Posted: 4/24/2012 8:37 AM
Thank you, Gloria. Would you be able to provide any links that discuss how NPS adopts a state EIS? I have seen on one NPS website that this is done occasionally as long as the document is NEPA sufficient. In this case it is a Washington State SEPA EIS that NPS here in WA has said it is willing to adopt. I have found very little online and would like to educate myself as to NPS procedures and guidance before meeting with them next week. I'm much more familiar with a NEPA EIS being adopted by the state; never done it the other way around before. Thank you again.
9/23/2011 1:56 PM
Posted: 4/24/2012 8:37 AM
Susan is correct.  UPARR conversions are very similar to LWCF conversions though UPARR is not managed at the state level.  The program in this case is managed at the federal level.  Unfortunately, our UPARR manual isn't available on the web so your best bet is to contact the NPS representative who has the UPARR responsibilities for the state in which you're working.  Contact information is available at though the information for the Oakland office is incorrect.  They recently moved to San Francisco so the number there now is 415-623-2334.  If you're working in Oregon or just looking for additional general information, feel free to call me at 206-220-4126. 
9/22/2011 6:53 PM
Posted: 4/24/2012 8:37 AM
Urban Park and Recreation Recovery
9/20/2011 7:31 PM
Posted: 4/24/2012 8:37 AM
Thank you, Susan. I would strongly prefer to call NPS and local parks directly, but our local utility client is managing all communications with both agencies, and we are required to go through them. So my situation is I formulate the questions and send them up the communications chain. I may be able to call the DC office as background research, but we need to know what the local NPS office wants. I look forward to any follow up messages from your NPS contacts. Thanks again.
9/19/2011 2:48 PM
Posted: 4/24/2012 8:37 AM
Google is your friend:

I have to admit, I'd never heard of this acronym myself after 20 years of doing this.
9/19/2011 2:36 PM
Posted: 4/24/2012 8:37 AM
Interested in Acronym education
What is UPARR?
9/19/2011 1:57 PM
Posted: 4/24/2012 8:37 AM
Go to this link:  The UPARR Act was published in the Fed Register in 1978, 79, and 80. Processes are guided by 36 CFR 72 (conversions are under 36 CFR 72.72.

It appears that a conversion of UPARR-protected properties follows a similar process as LWCF conversions, needing NPS approval with replacement property (if it is indeed a true conversion). You should get with your state's Parks and Recreation Department and ask your questions (to the Grants Program Manager to begin with). Or you could contact NPS's DC office directly (there's a directory on their site).

I also sent this re:NEPA topic to my NPS contacts (a regional contact and a headquarters contact). They may decide to post an answer, perhaps with questions for more information from you/the project, as well. There is no need to fear NPS--they are there to answer all your questions, and I've found over the last several years dealing with LWCF conversions that it saves a lot of time from simply guessing or asking the wrong experts for advice. Your state Parks/Rec agency is also there to provide the answers/guidance. Call them!
9/19/2011 1:41 PM