Department Of Transportation - Warning!!
DOT warning You are accessing a U.S. Government information system. This information system, including all related equipment, networks, and network devices, is provided for U.S. Government-authorized use only. Unauthorized or improper use of this system is prohibited, and may result in civil and criminal penalties, or administrative disciplinary action.
The communications and data stored or transiting this system may be, for any lawful Government purpose, monitored, recorded, and subject to audit or investigation. By using this system, you understand and consent to such terms. View User Behavior Rules

Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
  • Disclaimer: Any opinions, findings, and recommendations expressed in the group area discussions are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the United States Government, the Department of Transportation, or the Federal Highway Administration.
Edited: 4/24/2012 8:34 AM
Staffan Peterson

ARPA permit

Has anyone obtained an ARPA permit that is issued to a state governor for archaeological activities on behalf of the state, per 16 U.S.C. 470cc(j)? We'd be interested in hearing about your experiences obtaining and using this type of permit. Advantages, drawbacks?
2012-01-30 08:53:33
Posted: 4/24/2012 8:34 AM
I work for a County local agency. A current project is receiving federal funds for a bridge replacement project located within an easement on U.S> Forest Service land. We applied for and received an ARPA (with our archaologist consultant doing the work for us) to conduct archaeological field survey work including shovel probes. This work is being conducted to comply with Section 106 NHPA requirements. The ARPA that you are making an inquiry about seems to be more broad in scope compared to the project-specific ARPA that we have received.
1/30/2012 1:14 PM
Posted: 4/24/2012 8:34 AM
Can't say as I'm familiar with any ARPA permits issued to a governor, but I can see where that could be problematic. The stipulations for issuance of such a permit appear to bypass qualifications of the applicant and also do not appear to require that the work be completed with the purpose of furthering archaeological knowledge in the public interest. I would also guess that you would need a separate issuance for each separate federal entity for whom such a permit would be required. One for the Corps, one for USFW, one for NPS, etc.
Having trouble getting a regular ARPA permit?